Tuesday, December 8, 2009

White Elephant


So, this weekend is the annual Christmas party of local Phi Gamma Tri Deltas and we are suppose to have a White Elephant exchange.

If I recall from watching a version of the King and I...I think it was the one with Jodie Foster...White Elephants are rare and sacred and the sign of power in a monarchy.
According to Wikipedia, a white elephant is an idiom for a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth.

So, with that in mind, how has this tradition become more of a gag-gift of sorts. As I dig into my "treasures" to find the perfect gift, I realize there are many things that are my true White Elephants....a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose......which is why I still have it in my possession. There are some things that I should have brought with me to California last year as the white elephant event there. These items would be meaningful to my real sisters, not my sorority sisters.

Since we did a big "Clean Sweep" when we finished the basement, the collection of "stuff" just hasn't added up yet....I better keep digging!

No comments: