Monday, February 25, 2008

Book Reading Resolution


As I finished Pillars of the Earth yesterday, I started thinking about my Book Reading resolution of 50 books for 2007. Now, I'm not really concerned about making it, but since I have several books on my list that are nearly 1000 pages, first being Mary Queen of Scots, next Pillars of the Earth, then World Without End, and History of Scotland, I starting thinking, next year, I should make it a total number of pages, as these books represent approximately 2.5 books based on the average of 350 pages in typical book I read. So if I calculated that out, that would be 17,500 pages, which would target ~1500 pages. So far in 2007 I have read 3594, so I'm right on track. But the way, I wrote it up with 50 books, I have to read 4-5 a month, and I'm sitting at 7....well, I'm still close to being on track. Next group of books are research books for Scotland...so I'll be curious how quickly I breeze through them.

BTW: I would recommend this book. This is my first Ken Follett book, recommended reading by my sister, Jane. Mr. Follett has a unique writing style which I enjoyed; his format of writing helped pull me into the story quickly. He introduces multiple characters into his story and they ties them all together in his plot. Although I believe this book could probably be 100 pages less once you remove some repetition, but on the flip side I was disappointed when the last 100 pages tossed you in 10-20 year increments and wished for another couple hundred pages to slow down the time and give added credit on the successes made in the end. Although lengthy, it would be a great Book Club book as the discussion on it can be endless. I don't recommend it on tape/CD. I tried it and found the reader not appealing.

Looking forward to my turn at the Library arriving for World Without End (I'm #23 out of 34 on hold), which is a continuation of sorts of Pillars of the Earth, but a 200 years later. Little Birdies told me, it's even better. If anyone has the hard copy...can I borrow it :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm on chapter six and hope it picks up pretty soon.

♥ BoBellen