Sunday, October 7, 2007

To Paint or Not To Paint

With the first week of "Semi-Retirement" under my belt, it has felt more like a week of holiday--adding in all my "honey-do" items. As I learn my family's schedule, I too will get into the groove of things, as right now I set the alarm to remind me to pick up Andrew from school.

First on my Honey-Do list was to prep and paint the living room. Deadline for completion: 10/07/07. Goal for my project was to transform my living room from Jonquil Yellow to Michigan Sand Dune. Pulling out my Project Management skills, I outlined the steps...remove all fixtures, primer paint the Wall Art drawn by Emily when she was 5, fill all the nail holes, sand all the fillers, paint the ceiling, tape the ceiling, paint the walls, fix all the boo-boos. Once I realized it all doesn't happen in one day (my lofty dreams), I began to recruit my team for help: Emily and Richard (Andrew focused on playing outside in our 87 degree weather).

Richard prepped the walls as I began the tackle of the ceiling. Since I previously painted it Ceiling White 8 years ago, if I missed an area, no one will know....and I'm not pointing it out either. The next day it was time to attack the walls....but wait...I needed to tape the ceiling to give me that perfect edge between wall & ceiling...better call Richard to find out where the painter's tape is...okay all set, but wait...I still needed to sand the filled holes....another call to Richard to find out what sandpaper I should use. I can put together multimillion dollar deals, but lack the knowledge on sandpaper!

Finally all is ready and time to paint the walls...Emily arrived home from school just in time to help. Emily was handed the roller as I conquered the edges. All is clear! But wait...I can still see the bloody yellow! That's okay, we can eat dinner at 8:00pm....and a second coat is applied.
As I approached the final days before project deadline, I recruited Richard's help to fix all the boo-boos between the ceiling & the wall....and voila, the room is complete...no more yellow. In the future I will heed my brother's words..."Never paint a room Yellow."

The office will remain Ivory Linen and not get painted :)

Project Painting is a Green light!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, I'm so glad you started this so we can follow along on your new adventure. So funny that you have to set the alarm! And I'm impressed at how much you have accomplished (painting) already. It's probably more than I did in my 6 months!

Blog on!

Mindy said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, I'm so glad you started this so we can follow along on your new adventure. So funny that you have to set the alarm! And I'm impressed at how much you have accomplished (painting) already. It's probably more than I did in my 6 months!

Blog on!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Now the floors, huh? When is that party to sit in your new living room?

Anonymous said...

hey lynn..i've also read your blog..it's pretty interesting reading what u're doing during ur time off...andrea

Teacher Teacher! said...

You quit your job? No way. Welcome back to the stay at home life again. I know you are not "at home" because I'm sure your kids are running you ragged. No fair actually accomplishing big projects either!! Looking forward to the posts.
Rachel