Monday, October 29, 2007

Expiry Date

So, since I have rediscovered baking and cooking after so long (re: post on Zucchini), I started wondering if spices & herbs have expiration dates. I am a stickler to expiration dates! I looked at my Spice cupboard and realized I NEVER have cleaned it out in the 13 years I've lived here...just added to it...what really was in there?

New task: Attack the Spice Cupboard!
So I empty everything out. How much stuff can fit in one cupboard! Outside of the expired baking powder (Zucchini bread turned out fine) and the expired corn meal (stock requirement when married to a Southerner...when did I make Corn Bread last?), I found that none of the Spices have expiration dates. So does that mean if it's not all clumped together and petrified, it's still good? And if it was petrified, can you chip it off and still use it? Aren't most spices dried, ground up something...so does that mean they last forever?

Questions like these is when I miss terribly Ask Jeeves.com....replaced by Ask.com which is totally useless...that's another blog in itself. So I start my discovery process by researching McCormick & French's...the main two brands of spices & herbs in my cupboard.

So at McCormick's site, I found this insightful information:

Ingredient

Shelf Life

ground spices

2-3 years

whole spices

3-4 years

seasoning blends

1-2 years

herbs

1-3 years

extracts

4 years, except pure vanilla, which lasts indefinitely


And at French's, I found this "nondescript" information:
How can I tell how old a spice product is?
To determine the year and month when a spice was packaged, look for a series of black numbers and letters printed on the bottom or side or the spice container. This is not the UPC code and it is usually printed directly on the container, not the label. On dry packet mixes, the numbers and letters are pressed or indented into the edge of the package. The first number indicates the year of the decade. For example, if the first number is 3, this means the product was packaged in 2003. The second letter refers to the month. "A" stands for January, "B" stands for February, "C" is for March, and so on. So, if an item was packaged in March of 2004, the code would begin with 4C. (Other numbers and letters will follow, but the first two digits indicate when the product was packaged).

What is the shelf life of most spices?

We strongly recommend replacement by the Best if Used by Date (available on some products), due to diminished flavor and visual characteristics. Spices have a long storage life -- up to 2 to 5 years, depending on the spice and whether it is in whole or ground form. A rule of thumb is that whole spices (peppercorns, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, etc.) have the longest life, while ground spices and herbs in general are more fragile. The recommended shelf lives of some of our other products are as follows:
  • Pure and Imitation Extracts 4-6 years
  • Dromedary Box Mixes 1 year
  • Durkee Lemon Pie Filling 18 months
  • Durkee Coconut 1 year
  • Famous Sauce 1 year
  • Dec A Cake icings and gels 1 year
  • Dec A Cake sprinkles 2 years
  • Durkee or French's Sauce and Gravy dry mixes 18 months
  • Tone's Soup Base 6 months (after opening).

Storage

  • Spices and herbs will lose their color, taste and aroma over time.
  • To preserve peak flavor and color, store spices and herbs in a cool, dry place, away from exposure to bright light, heat, moisture or oxygen.
  • If possible, avoid storing spices and herbs too close to the stove, oven, dishwasher or refrigerator, where rising steam or heat can come into contact with them. Heat depreciates flavor; dampness may cause caking or clumping in the ground products.
  • Store herbs and spices in airtight containers, such as glass jars, plastic containers or tins, to protect against moisture and preserve oils that give spices rich flavor and aroma.
  • Be sure to close containers tightly after each use.

According to Type

  • The type of spice or herbs and their storage conditions determine their shelf life.
  • Whole herbs and spices last longer than their ground counterparts. For spices, such as nutmeg or allspice, the protective outer shell helps to prevent exposure to oxygen, thereby extending its freshness.
  • Refrigerate red-colored spices, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika to prevent loss of color and flavor. This is especially recommended in hot climates to guard against infestation.
  • Refrigerate or freeze oil-rich seeds, such as poppy and sesame to prevent them from getting rancid


Now, I found both sights helpful with various items...McCormicks had the better, when to TOSS list, but French's had a great how to use list (http://www.spiceadvice.com/usage/index.html).

But, reading on the history of spices, did the people in the "Good Ol' Days" really toss their spices out--or use them up--by the expiry date, or is it only recommend due to loss of flavor. And if the TOSS date is accurate...would my Zucchini bread have a more "enriched" flavor if I didn't use 10 year old Cinnamon...my kids aren't sick! And Vanilla extract...what does it really mean: indefinite life...do I save the HUGE bottle I have from Mexico forever?

And looking at the French's information...if my label starts with a 5, should I get realistic and say that it was 1995 when I purchased it, not 2005.

Is this encouragement to TOSS, their way to have you purchase more? And if my recipe only calls for 1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg...do they really think I'll use my whole can up in 2-3 years...maybe if I used it everyday!!!

So, as I continue my research, I tossed what I knew was bad, then separated the baking spices and cooking spices, alphabetized them and stuck them back in the cabinet...name out of course. So now I'm feeling a little like Julia Roberts in "Sleeping with the Enemy"....but I can at least find what I need now.

I know in the end, I will follow my expiry date paranoia and toss my spices too.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I remember once seeing a website where you could identify the age of your spices by the design of the label. I guess they update their "look" every decade or so. Needless to say almost everything in my cupboard was a few label designs past gone. But I think 1 year is too soon to throw anything away. From a dollars/ounce perspective spices are the most expensive item in the grocery store.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll take your lead and clean out my spices. I'll need the magnum-sized bottle of vino to accomplish that task! You know Lynnie that the pantry / spice cabinet alphabetizing OCD issue must run in the family. I have no clue which side though.

So we all agree then that spices are (1) packaged in quantities too great to use up in 5-20 years and (2) cost too bloody much to throw out willy-nilly. If we only lived closer, we could buy-and-split four ways. Just a thought.

-Ellen-Bo-Bellen