Wednesday, September 24, 2008

To Wii or Not to Wii

That is the question in our household. The kids want a Wii. Why, probably because their friends have one....well good, go visit your friends :)

As I was about to make that commitment, I started analyzing it as the pricey electronic toy that it really is & will we actually get our money out of it. While it would have been good during summer vacation as a part-time activity, now that school is back in session, there really isn't any time to even turn on the t.v., let alone play electronic games.

As I have been told, "at least the Wii encourages actual movement with the kids, based on the game." Isn't the better movement still playing outside?

Our Nintendo DS has paid for itself multiple times over. Not because my kids sit on their beds and play it, but as a car activity driving up north, driving to Atlanta, driving to sport games, it keeps the "are we there, yet?" down to a minimum.

So I'm looking for feedback from all of you out there that has one. Is it worth it? Since you purchased it, is it actively played or since the novelty has worn off, does it collect dust?

The deal I made with my kids is that we'd all buy it....1/3 from everyone. Funny how they quit asking for it once they realized how much would come out of their bank account. That's right, Bank of Mom is endless :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey lynn,

i dont have a wii but my friends do..i played with it for a few time and my opinion is that it gets boring after playing a few times...but my friends still play with it daily..compared to the gym it's not comparable...but its better than the kids watching tv..so i think for the winter its pretty good but for the summer its better if the kids play outside

Anonymous said...

I don't have it. But then again, I can't even load a DVD without calling the Help Desk. Anyway, a co-worker with no kidlets has it specifically for "Wii Fit".

Let me know how it turns out.

♥ BoBellen

Anonymous said...

I'm a big help....what's Wii? (no need to respond, seriously!)
jane-o

Anonymous said...

We have a Wii. We have been happy with it! This is our first electronic game purchase. I opted for the Wii because at least your up and moving versus being a couch potatoe! My kidscome home from school and do a couple yoga/stretching routines on the Wii Fit. We didn't play it much in the summer, as I would rather have the kids outside running and playing! The downfall is games are a bit pricey, in my opinion.